Yoga Poses to Begin Your Yoga Journey
Yoga Poses that do you good
It is easy to get confused when you first taking up Yoga, especially if you are practicing at home, as there over 300 poses in just Physical Yoga alone. But don’t give up so early, if you want to begin your Yoga journey but do not know where to start, we’ve got you covered with these 4 basic yet important Yoga Poses.
Mountain Pose/Tadasana: the basic yoga pose
Pose type: Standing pose
To begin with, Mountain Pose lays foundations to all standing poses that you will learn afterwards, it might appear to be “just simply standing” yet there are many actions going on and mastering this pose is definitely not easy.
Eventually, here is how you do it:
- Start by stand straight while keeping all your 10 toes together.
- Press your toes on the grounds as you spread them and place your weight evenly through both feet.
- Draw your abdominal muscles in and up and tuck your hips under just a little bit
- Relax your shoulders and roll them back and down.
- Inhale and reach your arms overhead, while keeping your feet pressed on the ground.
- Take 3-5 long, slow, deep breaths
Triangle/Trikonasana: the yoga pose that makes your waist smaller
Pose type: Standing pose
First of all, triangle is not a complicated pose, yet it has wonderful effects to stretch the waist sides, strengthen your lower body and tone up the whole body composition.
As a result, here is how you do it:
- Keep your feet apart by around one-leg length
- Keep the front leg as straight as possible.
- Reach your left hand towards the ground.
- Tilt your torso forward and rotate it open to the right side.
- Lift your right hand towards the ceiling and put your gaze upward.
- Hold for 5–10 breaths, then switch sides.
Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana): good-for-your-butt
Pose type: Back bending pose
By all means, bridge pose is an easy-to-follow and good beginner pose to stretch your back and upper body
Thus, here is you can nail it:
- Start by Lying down flat on your back
- Place your feet apart around hip-wide.
- Press firmly on to your feet and slowly lift your butt up off the mat.
- Press the fists down to the floor as you open up your chest even more.
- Imagine pulling your heels on the mat towards your shoulders, keep this position for 8-10 breaths then lower your hips down and repeat two more times.
Corpse Pose (Savasana): we all look forward to this post after that intense yoga session
Pose type: Resting
The first thing to remember is that most of your future yoga session would end in this pose, which allows your muscels to stretch out and transit smoothly from your yoga lesson to other activities in your day. This is considered one of the most important pose to bring into your Yoga practice.
Ultimately, here is its how-to-do:
- Begin by lying flat on your back
- Deepen your breath
- Wiggle your toes and fingers with gentle movements
- Try to calm your mind and rest there for a moment
No matter what level you are at or what poses you are practicing, remember to listen to your body and modify as needed.
Where to practice those poses in Halifax?
In Halifax, upon request, the Worthington Oceanside Resort offers yoga class and other wellness classes during your stay. Simply contact us at [email protected] or call us at 902.880.0188 for more information.
Be the first to find out everything about Worthington Boutique Hotels